Sunday, October 15, 2006

getting over tv

TV is bad...really bad. There's no really good show on, but I watch anyway. I've even branched out into romantic dramas. I basically watch Grey's Anatomy and Six Degrees on ABC, and CSI:Miami, NCIS, and NUMB3RS on CBS.

Grey's Anatomy is a new thing for me...it's ultra ultra sappy, and I'm really starting to get tired of pouting Meredith, indecisive Meredith, stupid Meredith, and all of the other Merediths. I guess I like the show because there's decent acting all around, and there's slightly more depth there than I'd normally expect from so much pointless drama. The Cristina character is fun too...sometimes I wish I were more like her. Six Degrees is a new show on ABC. While it's not groundbreaking, it's not bad either. The stories weave together better than expected, and the substories with Campbell Scott and Bridget Moynahan are really good. The whole show itself is slightly kitschy and sappy, but it's not bad. I like watching shows that pretend to be realistic without actually being realistic, because reality is not all that great and exciting.

Haha...I laugh when I watch CSI:Miami, because I basically watch it because it's so trashy. As many of my friends would say, it's just eye candy. The filters are impossibly bright yellows and oranges, so the show is a overly bright and happy and fake version of Miami (Miami so does not look anything like that in real life). To be on the show, apparently you have to have score at least a 9 out of 10 on the beauty scale of life and look good in either a) swimsuit if you're female or b) flamboyant suit if you're male. It's just a lot of fun to watch. There's a lot of slo-mo shots to enhance the drama and utter stupidity as well as fancy split screens and the like. It's all about what's on the surface.

Anyway, I watch these shows even though they're not that good. It's almost like a fake alternate reality that I can immerse myself in for 45 minutes. That's not good either because let's face it, nothing on TV is real. It's just so much easier to watch imaginary people going about in their imaginary lives instead of actually thinking and doing things in my real life.

1 comment:

yunwuu said...

mimi! i miss you!!! can't you transfer and come back to mit??? i miss living with you back at next house and hanging out/studying together...i'm so bad nowadays :(