Monday, April 23, 2007

clueless

It's been so long since I've indulged myself in chick flicks and otherwise pointless movies. When Clueless first hit the theaters, I wasn't even in double digits. When I started watching, the first thing I thought was: People really wore that in the '90s??? Was there a plaid revolution? And where are the bagpipes that go with the kilts?

Despite the cluelessness of it all, there's something to be said about the movie. Some of the dialogue is way sharp and Alicia Silverstone has a sweet, pouty air about her that doesn't exactly inspire nausea. I admit that I love Paul Rudd, despite his insipidness. He's just the nice, all around big brother but not big brother with a really nice smile. Even though Cher's so fake, they're still totally adorable together.

I enjoyed watching Clueless so much more than Cruel Intentions. Cruel Intentions just felt like young adults trying to be teenagers trying to be grown-ups. Ryan Phillipe comes off not so much as angsty as trying to be angsty and self-important. I find that I enjoy watching older actors and actresses much more than those around my age because they're more sure of themselves. They know who they are and have the experience and depth to convey more emotion.

Generally, ultrasweet and sappy girls onscreen annoy the hell out of me (i.e. Kirsten Dunst). It's even worse when it's forced and feels like it's forced. I dislike watching actresses who don't have the capacity to be anything but the sweet damsel in distress. It's not that I'm an incredibly deep and angsty and complex person, but I'd like to see it onscreen once in awhile.

Sarah Michelle Gellar was all right in Cruel Intentions, though nowhere as evil as she was supposed to be. Selma Blair was just an idiot (I guess she nailed her part dead-on) and Reese Witherspoon was all right. Frankly, I expected the movie to have a little more bite, but I guess I'll live.

No comments: